Gainsborough Trinity 2 Nuneaton Town 2

Gainsborough Trinity 2 Nuneaton Town 2

Gainsborough made it six home games unbeaten as they came from behind twice in the first half to get a point against Nuneaton. Adam Quinn and a James Reid penalty were enough to secure a point in a game the Blues will probably look back on and think they should have perhaps got all three on offer. It was a dominant first half against on Nuneaton side who were clearly wary of the dangers of the Trinity front line.

Blues boss Dom Roma gave a first start for young Barnsley loanee Matt Templeton who scored the winner last time out at the Martin and Co Arena against Tamworth. Templeton was one of three changes, with wholesale changes to the back four as Roma went for experience at the back with Adam Quinn and Matt Wilson returning to the starting eleven.

Trinity started brightly, executing some excellent football but found little reward early on. Borough on the other hand defended deeply and looked set for a smash and grab victory. It was the visitors who took the lead with one of the scrappiest goals you will ever see. Joe Ironside miscued a cross, the ball bobbled around the box and Aaron Williams poked home.

Gainsborough Trinity 2 Nuneaton Town 2

Trinity did not rest on their laurels and within minutes they had come close with two headers. The first from Jarman forced a good save from Christian Dibble and from the corner Wilson fired over. The Blues levelled in that fashion with Adam Quinn powering a bullet header into the back of the net from a James Reid corner.

Two minutes later Jarman rattled the crossbar with a thunderous free kick. Gainsborough controlled the remainder of the half without fashioning a clear opening and the quiet Nuneaton again took the lead. Wilson blocked a shot in the area and was adjudged to have used his arm. David Morgan dispatched the penalty straight down the middle. On half time it was six penalties in the last 90 minutes of football involving Trinity. A deep free kick was heading for Wilson and he was dragged to the floor. Reid stepped up and coolly found the bottom corner to send the sides in all square, which was the least that Gainsborough deserved.

Gainsborough Trinity 2 Nuneaton Town 2

The second half was a lot more even with Nuneaton playing much narrower and giving them more control of play. They again struggled to create chances and it was Thewlis who was being a menace once more. The former Harrogate man burst through onto a Jarman through ball to force Dibble into a good save with his feet.

Morgan had the best opportunity for the visitors, jinking through tackles and leaving a couple of Trinity defenders on the floor before shooting inches wide from the edge of the box. Dibble was the main reason why the Holy Blues were not running away with this one and he made a stunning stop to keep things all square.

A superb cross from Jarman to the far post found Templeton running in late and his firm shot was pushed away on the line by the experienced stopper. A draw was probably the correct result on the second half performances but Trinity will feel disappointed they could not take advantage of what was a dominant display for the first 45.

Gainsborough Trinity
Willis, Picton, Lacey, Sparrow, Quinn, Wilson, Reid, Thornhill, Thewlis (Worsfold 85), Jarman, Templeton (Wiles 89). Subs (not used): Beatson, Hands, Roma

Nuneaton Town
Dibble, Penny, Higham, Morgan, Langmead, Keane (Cartwright 45), Daniels, Tempest, Ironside, Williams, Moli (Demkin 73). Subs (not used): Anderson, Nicholson, Wright

Goals: Quinn (22), Reid (45 pen), Williams (13), Morgan (42 pen)
Bookings: Thewlis, Reid; Keane, Moli, Tempest
Attendance: 571
Referee: Gareth Rhodes

Photos by John Rudkin (johnrudkin999) - Gainsborough Trinity Official Photographer

Site Login