Gainsborough Trinity 6 Oxford City 0

Gainsborough Trinity 6 Oxford City 0

Trinity ended their run of 8 games without a win and exacted revenge for their loss 9 days ago against Oxford with a comprehensive win at the Northolme. Following a minute of silence, the two teams started rather slow as they had a battle in the midfield without any real attempts on target.

Trinity were the first to get a shot to cause a keeper to make a save as Simon Russell cut in from the right but Mark Scott comfortably saved. This seemed to ignite the game and Oxford were caught offside a couple of times before a fast break saw Michael Pook have an attempt from 25 yards, but his shot was wide. With 24 minutes gone a great turn from Jono Margetts just inside the box saw Mark Scott make a good save but at the expense of a corner.

From the resulting corner, Ciaran Toner delivered a perfect ball for Greg Young to power a header home and the big Trinity centre back scored his first of the season. Minutes later, Jono Margetts chested down a long free kick from Phil Barnes and hit a stunning goal on the half volley. Trinity enjoyed the best of the remainder of the half as both Simon Russell and Grant Roberts went close, but Russell fired just over and Roberts effort was wide of the post.

Oxford made a double substitution at half time as Winters and McEchran replaced Benjamin and Solomon. This didn’t stem the tide, as within a minute of the restart Curtis Bateson broke through the defence and rounded Scott, but a last ditch tackle from Lee Henderson stopped a certain goal. With 53 minutes gone, Curtis Bateson once again was at the heart of the action as he had a neat one-two with Roberts allowing the Trinity man to burst through and slot the ball past Scott.

A minute later Curtis Bateson jinked his way into the box and laid the ball into the path of Margetts for him to have a simple tap in. Two minutes later Trinity’s lead had stretched to 5 as Margetts completed his hat-trick. He was played by Darren Mullins of Oxford as he went to tackle Grant Roberts. Although Margetts was in an offside, it was an Oxford boot which played him the ball so referee Ricky Wootton overruled his assistant and Margetts calmly placed the ball past a helpless Scott.

With the game all but over, Trinity played good football and Jamie Wootton had three chances to extend Trinity’s lead before Cairan Toner eventually did. Jamie Wootton picked the ball up just inside the Oxford half and played in Jono Margetts. With the keeper bearing down on him he unselfishly passed the ball square for Toner to put into the empty net.

Match Highlights

Gainsborough Trinity:
Phil Barnes, Dom Roma, Josh Lacey, Tom Davie (Williams 78’), Callum Howe, Greg Young, Simon Russell, Ciaran Toner, Curtis Bateson (Wootton 74’), Jono Margetts, Grant Roberts (Davis 68’). Subs: Darryn Stamp, Johno Williams, Michael Leary, Liam Davis, Jamie Wootton.

Oxford City:
Mark Scott, Lee Henderson, Paul Stonehouse, Michael Pook, Adam Learoyd, Chris WIlmott, Declan Benjamin (Winters 46’), Darren Mullins, Mike Symons, Darren Pond (Basham 65’), Viv Solomon (McEachran 46’). Subs: Tom Winters, Zac McEachran, Andy Ballard, Steve Basham, Mark Preece.

Attendance: 321

Match report by Kristan Smith - GTFC Match Reporter

Site Login