Trinity started the game brilliantly and dominated the opening exchanges, Bradley Grayson's deft touch completely deceiving Matty Gould in the Dabbers' goal. Flicking home from Cieron Keane's left wing corner.after Callum Minkley had kept the ball in the danger zone. A free flowing move on fourteen, saw Jovon Makama twist and turn before combining with Wilson, who stood a brilliant ball up to the far post saw that saw Trinity look certain to double their advantage, but Gould made what turned out to be a match winning save as he denied Wollerton from point blank range.

Five minutes later, when Wollerton again caused Nantwich problems defensively, Grayson went close again as he got his free kick up and over the wall, only to see his effort saved by the flying Gould away to his left. As the half hour mark approached, Nantwich started to gain a foot hold in the game. Cockerline got to the byline and cut back, but George Hornshaw did brilliantly round on the defensive cover to deny Casper Hughes, before Trinity lost goal scorer Grayson, the talismanic centre forward being replaced by the pacey Morrison.

Makama, who led the line without fear for someone so young, glanced a header from another Keane deadball towards goal, but Gould held comfortably. Half time: Nantwich Town 0 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Matty Devine started to have more influence on proceedings at the start of the second half, as he got forward more from his left back berth. One run and cross finding Dan Cockerline, the big number nine who fashioned an effort on goal, that Matt Yates between the posts for Trinity did well to claw away. The follow up flashed wide by Sean Cooke, from the corner of the six yard box.

Cockerline then got down the Gainsborough right and squared for Cooke, but his half volley was comfortable for Yates. They were warning signs, warning sides the Holy Blues did nothing about and when Makama was adjudged to have fouled his man, picking up a caution in the process. Trinity couldn't deal with the free kick. Joe Malkin worked Yates. Seeing the ball late through a crowded box, he parried the ball away, but Troy Bourne was on hand to net the follow up.

On 69 minutes, the game was turned upside down. A loose ball was inadvertently turned back towards his own goal by Bishop, completely catching the defence square and with Cockerline in an offside position, he couldn't believe his fortune as he raced through to slide the ball past the despairing dive of Yates. With the Assistant Referee's flag still raised, their was a glimmer of hope that the goal may yet be chalked off, but the correct decision was made, with the man in the middle giving the goal.

Moments later, Bishop's thumping header from Keane's free kick was powered agonisingly wide as the veteran found himself completely unmarked on the penalty spot. So close to an almost instant leveller! Joe Robbins should have done better when he received the knock down from Malkin, but off balance, he fired off target when well placed for the Dabbers.

Toby Gould was thrown into the fray for the final quarter of an hour, as Trinity chased a way back into the game. And the wide man looked lively in his cameo as he replaced Alex Wollerton. The telling final ball just deserting the Holy Blues, who's approach play, up until the final ball was at times exciting, adding to the watchability of the game. The Holy Blues unable to find an equaliser and heading back to Lincolnshire with nothing to show for their efforts.

Next Gainsborough turn attentions to the visit of Basford United, who visit the Gainsborough Martin and Co Arena on Saturday. Kick off at 3pm, as we look to start another run, at fortress Northolme.

The Team

Gainsborough: Matt Yates, Joe Wilson, George Hornshaw, Elicha Ahui, Lewis Carr, Callum Minkley, Alex Wollerton (Toby Gould 75), Neal Bishop, Jovon Makama (Declan Bacon), Bradley Grayson (Curtis Morrison), Cieron Keane. Subs not used: Theo Hudson and Lewis Butroid

Gainsborough Goals: Grayson(5)
Gainsborough Yellow Cards: Makama, Minkley, Hornshaw