A delayed kick off, due to a kit clash identified by Match Referee Anthony Tankard at two minutes to three, saw the Dolly Blues adjust their matchday attire to include the Oddballs pre-season kit from years gone by. And by 15:07 we were able to get under way (by the time Liverpool were already 2-0 up in their annihilation of Bournemouth). A late change to the visitors line up, also seemed to have them in a state of flux, but it was Lancaster who made the quicker start.

Taking a third minute lead, when the Blues switched off. A diagonal free kick to the back post saw Kyle Brownhill out jump Ethan Bojang. Nodding the ball down, Dom Lawson stabbed home from close range, with Trinity statuesque.

The Holy Blues looked to dust themselves down, and as Curtis Durose burst from midfield, he looked like he was clipped right on the edge of the box, but Mr Tankard looked the other way, much to the Rotherham youngster's consternation. On the quarter hour, another penalty appeal went ignored. Jack Dyche's first cross from the right was cut out at the near post, but as the Trinity man looked to make amends, he got to the ball first - only to seemingly be taken out by the momentum of the Dolly Blues' skipper Teague.

A free-kick presented Brad Grayson with an opportunity to test the visiting 'keeper. His effort on target- but comfortable for Jordan Eastham in the Lancaster Goal. Trinity were struggling to get a real foothold in the game though as Lancaster effectively went about their work, breaking play up and keeping it simple. And things got tougher for the Holy Blues when Dale Whitham doubled the visitor's advantage, converting at the back post after Brownhill again provided the ammunition.

Reacting to going two down, Bishop & Parkinson looked to the bench and introduced Cogill for Bojang, shifting Hayden Cann to full back in search of a formula to get back into the game. But Lancaster already had their cushion and despite Cursons replacing the injured Grayson, five minutes before half time, Trinity's fortunes didn't look like changing.

Half time: Gainsborough Trinity 0 Lancaster City 2

The second half offered little in the way of an improvement for Trinity as Lancaster continued to stiffle a Holy Blue revival. Twenty minutes from time, Cursons showed good perseverance to turn in the box. But his shot on target was comfortably gathered by Eastham. And in added time, Donaldson's stooping header was again comfortable for the visitors. They took their chances in the first half and kept Trinity at arms length for the rest of the game. And that coupled with the Blues' legginess - this one should quickly be boxed off in the 'Unforgettable' box.

The Holy Blues this season have set the bar. Today, they fell below that level, but in less than 48 hours, the side have the chance to rest up, recover and prepare for our Bank Holiday Monday battle with the Gladiators at Matlock. The games not getting any easier as they come thick and fast.

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity: Matt Yates, Ethan Bojang (Dylan Cogill 32), Joseph West, Andrew Wright, Hayden Cann, Isaac Rice, Jack Dyche (Masai Arbouin 68), Curtis Durose, Clayton Donaldson, Liam Waldock, Bradley Grayson (Tom Cursons 40). Subs not used: Neal Bishop, Darius Smith

Lancaster City: Jordan Eastham, Charlie Bailey, Kyle Brownhill, Calen Gallagher-Allinson, Andrew Teague (Edward Elewa Ikpakwu 64), Jamie Mellen, Bradley Hubbold (Sam Bailey 83), Niall Cowperthwaite, David Norris, Dale Whitham, Dominic Lawson (Joel Davidson 77) Subs not used: Curtis Anderson and Jake Connelly

Referee: Anthony Tankard
Attendance: 536

Match report: Rob Hughes (@AATM_Media)
Photograph: Kate Simmonds (@kls_mediauk)