Making two changes from the side beaten at the weekend, Blues’ boss Neal Bishop replaced Harry Lewis with Curtis Durose, the Rotherham United loanee having committed his future to Trinity until the end of the season. And Jack Dyche started with Jay Glover named amongst the substitutes as the hosts looked to set about the visitors from the outset.

The hosts belied their recent run of form, to play on the front foot, pressurising a Marske United side, set up to contain and stifle by former Trinity manager Curtis Woodhouse. And the Holy Blues were rewarded for their positivity with a goal inside the opening five minutes. And it came gift wrapped. A careless pass back towards his own goal by Ethan Vaughan, that sent Clayton Donaldson through on goal. The veteran front man striking the inside of Michael Roxburgh’s right hand post. Liam Waldock following in to poke the ball home, to give Trinity the dream start. In the right place, at the right time to net his sixteenth of the season.

Six minutes later though, Marske were back on level terms, when Trinity stood still – and Adam Boyes made no mistake, sweeping home from six yards as the referee played advantage. The goal wouldn’t deter the home side though, and Bish & Stampy encouraged the side to stick to their principles, and when Jack Dyche got in behind, his strong running was too much for centre back Jorge Sikora, who de-booted Dyche, with the Trinity man clear through on goal. It looked a clear penalty and a sending off, Trinity had to be satisfied with the red card, as Marske were reduced to ten men. Durose curling the freekick a yard wide of the far post.

Trinity were playing some great football. Dyche shooting over, before Waldock was a whisker away from connecting with Donaldson’s cross that flashed across the face of goal. Donaldson was then sent tumbling in the box, with the referee not interested in the coming together.

All action, Bailey Conway was making the engine room tick over. On the receiving end of a booking, but he continued to compete in the middle of the park, finding pockets of space and driving Trinity on. A one two with Donaldson saw Conway test Roxburgh, with Trinity creating and asking questions of the visitors.

A minute into stoppage time and Roxburgh was forced into action, making a smart save down at his left hand post. Durose denied. But only temporarily, as two minutes later, three minutes into the three allotted minutes of stoppage time, fine interplay down the right saw Durose on the mark. Slick approach play had Marske chasing shadows – as Waldock’s backheel unlocked the visitors defence – and the Rotherham loanee poked home, to see the Blues ahead at the interval.

Half time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Marske United 1

As a precaution, Prosper Keto made way for George Hornshaw at the break, but the Blues came out at the start of the second half a little lethargic and ten man Marske found themselves back on level terms, early in the second period, when Adam Boyes was given freedom to swivel and volley home unopposed from six yards out. That goal could have deflated Bish’s boys. But the Blues regrouped, going on to score four more without reply.

A precision Hornshaw cross picked out fellow substitute Fraser Preston. The man signed from Alfreton netting his first in Trinity colours with a close range finish. Roxburgh given no chance thanks to the quality of ball from Hornshaw’s right peg.

Architects of their own downfall, Marske were unable to clear their defensive lines properly. A breakdown in communication saw the on loan Huddersfield Town goalkeeper caught in no mans land, and Preston’s cushioned finish from twenty-five yards, pillowed into the net, netting his second. Nine minutes after his first.

Roxburgh did well to deny Donaldson, after the veteran fashioned a shooting opportunity of his own. Waldock on hand to score his second of the game – and Trinity’s fifth. Gainsborough’s number ten finding himself, once again, in the right place – at the right time!

Trinity were rampant – and netted a sixth two minutes from time, as the Holy Blues pulled Marske apart, Durose requiring little backlift to drill firmly past the visiting ‘keeper, giving him no chance and putting the icing on the cake of a fine offensive team performance.

Despite not getting his name on the scoresheet, Clayton Donaldson was a tireless workhorse, running the line well, bringing team mates into play – and fashioning shooting opportunities for himself – and others. A contribution recognised by our Match Sponsors Grimsby Fish Bar, with the award of Man of the Match.

Following the excitement of the Blues’ return to winning ways - and scoring form, two massive games await, now. Starting with Saturday and the visit to Bamber Bridge, before welcoming South Shields to the Dave Longstaff Martin and Co Arena next Tuesday. As it is half term let’s encourage everyone to come out in force and paint the town blue as we go toe to toe with the current league leaders. Come on you Blues!

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity

Matt Yates, Prosper Keto (George Hornshaw 46) Joseph West, Isaac Rice (Andrew Wright 70) Hayden Cann, Dylan Cogill, Curtis Durose, Bailey Conway, Clayton Donaldson, Liam Waldock, Jack Dyche (Fraser Preston 53)

Subs not used: Jay Glover, Harry Lewis

Gainsborough goals: Liam Waldock 5 & 74, Curtis Durose 45+3 & 88, Fraser Preston 56 & 65

Gainsborough booking: Bailey Conway

Marske United

Michael Roxburgh, Jordan Emery, Jorge Sikora, George Horbury, Alex Storey, Jason Kennedy, Ethan Vaughan, Josh Macdonald, Adam Boyes, Donald Chimalilo (Niah Payne 74) Dylan McAvoy

Subs not used: Ethan Bojang, Alfie Doherty Marske goals: Adam Boyes 18 & 54 Marske bookings: Dylan McAvoy