Making two changes from the side that drew away at Atherton Collieries. George Hornshaw was restored to the starting eleven with Luther Munakandafa preferred to Tyrell Sellars-Fleming. Hayden Cann lined up alongside Dylan Cogill at centre back, as Isaac Rice (captain for the day) shifted to left back. Really looking to go after the visitors in the opening stages, the Holy Blues looked to Harry Lewis on the left and Munakandafa on the right as our out balls, and the two wide men looked like they would find success in behind the Warrington back line.

The Blues could - and maybe should - have been in front when Dylan Cogill escaped unmarked, from Curtis Durose’s cross that was on the money. Planting his header a yard wide of the post, with the Northolme crowd taking a collective breath, waiting for the net to bulge. Connor Woods went close for the visitors, but Trinity were putting bodies on the line to make brave blocks, but backed off when Woods went on a mazy run. Cann recovering to throw up a protective force-field as Amis looked to turn an effort goalwards.

Cogill was popping up in all the right places, as Liam Waldock found the centre back in a better position, as Warrington failed to clear another Durose corner, the defender scuffing his effort into the side netting when well placed. Trinity were looking to swarm Warrington as the ball entered the midfield. 

Midway through the first half, Amis was fortunate when he saw yellow. Leaving a foot in as Yates raced off his to sweep up for the Blues. With contact made, and Yates requiring treatment - Amis was cautioned by Mr Smith, in his first appearance at the Northolme. Following that incident, a degree of needle insued. Nothing fouls began to creep in, littering proceedings. During which, twice visiting 'keeper Tony Thompson charged half the length of the field to confront opposition players - and the referee - to demand further action against a Trinity player.

Waldock did brilliantly to disposes Jay Harris on the edge of the Yellows' box - but with the Blues three on one, Trinity were robbed of the chance to punish the visitors. The interjection of the referee's whistle halting home momentum.

Munakandafa and Bailey Conway found themselves in the referee's notebook in quick succession for fouls, before Luke Duffy for the visitors' saw his effort deflected behind for a corner. Following a short corner, Dec Walker found Jay Harris, the two combining before the vastly experienced Harris had time to pick out Josh Amis with a precision cross. Warrington taking the lead on the stroke of half time, Amis bulldozing his way onto the end of the cross and giving Yates no chance from close range

Half time: Gainsborough Trinity 0 Warrington Town 1

The Holy Blues raced out of the traps in the second half, with Clayton Donaldson looking to capitalise on an Evan Gumbs slip, Tony Thompson out quickly to force the striker away from goal. Soon after, Matt Yates had to be at his best to turn away Luke Duffy’s curling effort, before the Holy Blues grew into the game and really started to play on the front foot.

An early second half change saw the guile of Fraser Preston replace the yellow-carded Munakandafa. And it wasn't long before the former Alfreton winger was asking questions down the right. Gainsborough levelled when the unfortunate Bohan Dixon diverted the ball past his own goalkeeper, from Durose’s devilish corner. The former Lincoln City man distracted by the presence of Cogill.

Thompson again had to be alert to deny Fraser Preston, as the substitute cut in off the right flank and tested the ‘keeper. Warrington were restricted to one or two shooting chances from distance, that didn't trouble Yates as the Holy Blues continued to grow in stature

Prosper Keto made a short six minute cameo at the end of the game as a more attacking outlet down the right hand side, and he instantly adjusted to the tempo of the game, linking well on the overlap with Fraser Preston Trinity pressed Warrington back, and the visitors were indebted to Thompson who stood firm to save from Isaac Rice’s late pile driver.. and but for an assistant's flag and another brave block from Thompson at the death, Lewis could have won it for the Blues, when he raced on to Sellars-Fleming's excellent hold up play, and ball around the corner

Four points from the two games against Warrington Town this season show that Bish's young side are capable of mixing it with the best the Northern Premier League have to offer.

Now, with four games left to play - and a season extension still in our hands - how many people would have had the Holy Blues so well placed? A massive Bank Holiday weekend double header is now in store for Neal Bishop's Gainsborough Trinity. Away at Lancaster City's Giant Axe on Saturday, before the return to Northolme on Bank Holiday Monday when we welcome Liversedge.

Please do all you can to help the Blues continue the push for the play-off spots and promotion glory. Come on you Blues!

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity

Matt Yates, George Hornshaw (Prosper Keto 84) Isaac Rice, Bailey Conway, Hayden Cann, Dylan Cogill, Luther Munakandafa (Fraser Preston 51) Curtis Durose, Clayton Donaldson (Tyrell Sellars-Fleming 90) Harry Lewis

Subs not used: Andrew Wright & Joseph West

Gainsborough goal; Bohan Dixon o.g. 60

Gainsborough bookings: Curtis Durose, Bailey Conway, Luther Munakandafa

Warrington Town

Tony Thompson, Declan Walker, Mitch Duggan, Tom Hannigan, Evan Gubbs, Jay Harris Connor Woods (Isaac Buckley 84) Matty McDonald (Stefan Mols 66) Josh Amis (Jordan Buckley 79) Bohan Dixon Luke Duffy

Subs not used: Andy White, Tom Warren

Warrington goal: Josh Amis 44

Warrington bookings: Josh Amis & Mitch Duggan

Referee: Daniel Smith

Attendance: 714

Report by Rob Hughes (@AATM_Media)

Photo credit: Russell Dickens (@bozola900)