The match began with pure pressure from both sides. The first chance of the match up was a defensive error from the Rylands defence which led to a wonderfully put away Declan Howe chip over the away side’s keeper, Luke Pilling, in only the 8th minute of the game. Just 5 minutes later, the Ryland attack threatened the home side as wingback, Clive Smith, made a beautiful run down the right wing, however, his cross was met by a sliding clearance from Trinity’s Hamish Douglas.

Chances then came thick and fast for both sides. Declan Howe brought the ball round Pilling just to hit the post, then Rylands striker came close up the other end, putting the ball just wide of the home sides post. Trinity’s Javelle Clarke then came close after a sublime bit of play led to his shot curling just a whisker away from the post.

An acrobatic attempt from Rylands’ Joseph Piggott was put over that bar after a good bit of play from the away side. As the second half started, the weather took a turn, but this wasn’t the case on the pitch, Trinity came out strong as Howe’s shot was just wide of the post, 2 minutes into the half, then, Clarkes chance was blocked off of the line by a determined Ryland defence.

The second half action began with Trinty’s Hornshaw being punished with a second yellow after wasting time on a throw in. Just 5 minutes later, the pressure was put on Gainsborough as Sidibeh went one-on-one with the Sheffield Wednesday loanee, Luke Jackson, only to be met with a composed save.

Just 14 minutes from the final whistle, Declan Howe was brought down in the middle of the park after a terrible challenge from Rylands, Ben Hough, leading to a sending off and an injury for Howe. With only 10 minutes left on the clock, the game sprang into life, 10v10 and lots of action.

The home side were unlucky to have 3 close range efforts saved and cleared off the line, but in return, a penalty was awarded after a foul on Clarke. Johnson’s penalty was then saved by Pilling, the rebound only good enough to meet the keepers hands, a moment to forget for Johnson.

The referee awarded 7 minutes of added time, was a late equaliser possible? After pushing hard for the upset, Ryland were blessed with a 95th minute equaliser. 3 chances saved and blocked off of the line by Trinity was pounced on by Clive Smith, putting it away past a wall of Trinity’s men.

The referee blew for full time and an air of relief filled the stadium. A tough one to take for Trinity after a last minute equaliser. But, 17th going toe to toe with 2nd shows signs the Russ Wilcox’s side are improving massively.

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity: Luke Jackson, George Hornshaw, Ashley Jackson, Bailey Conway, Hamish Douglas, Dylan Cogill, Lewis Butroid (Joel Holvey 76) Bobby Johnson, Dayle Southwell (Nat Wallace 69) Declan Howe (Jack Moore-Billam 78) Javelle Clarke. Subs not used: Harry Lovick and Harrison Poulter.

Warrington Rylands: Luke Pilling, Clive Smith, Javid Swaby-Neavin, James Butler, Matt Regan, Dean Furman, Chiekh Emthiam (Scott Bakkor 69) Ben Hough, Adam Sidibeh, Joe Piggott (Momodou Touray 65) Ben Hardcastle (James Baillie 77).

Gainsborough Goal: Declan Howe 9
Gainsborough Bookings: George Hornshaw, Hamish Douglas
Gainsborough Red: George Hornshaw (Second yellow)
Rylands Goal: Clive Smith 90+5
Rylands Bookings: Matt Regan, Javid Swaby-Neavin and Dean Furman
Rylands Red: Ben Hough

Referee: Daniel England
Attendance: 472

Match report by Cian Stringer
Photo credit: Mark Percy (courtesy of Warrington Rylands)