Joe Stacey chased a ball down the left side, keeping the ball in play well, before tricking his way past Will Squires, teeing up Dayle Southwell, who saw his effort charged down by Sam Fielding. Trinity continued to apply the pressure, with Bobby Johnson instrumental in winning the ball back, before opening up the play, releasing George Hornshaw down the right. Clever one-twos with Fraser Preston opening up the space down the Hyde left.

At the other end, Dylan Wharton needed to be alert to punch away a dangerous Harry Bunn free-kick before Joel Amado, leaning back, missed the target from the edge of the box. Hyde were patient in possession, but as they looked to move up through the gears, Hornshaw was alert to the danger. Stepping in, he won the ball back, quickly releasing Declan Howe down the right. His early ball into the near post looking for Dayle Southwell, was on the money, but as Southwell took a tumble, Mr Cavanagh waved away the appeals for a penalty.

Bailey Conway swept the ball from right to left, with a superb ball out to Stacey, with the wing back attacking down the flank, and Howe was on the money. In the right place at the right time, to poke home his 21st of the season. After nicking the ball back. Under pressure Hyde couldn’t clear their lines and Howe needed no second invitation.

Jack Redshaw immediately tried to restore parity. A mazy run saw the former Manchester City youngster run out of room, before squeezing his effort, courtesy of a slight deflection, into the side netting at the near post. Wharton relieving the pressure as he calmly claimed the corner. Fraser Preston was finding pockets of space. And looking to get his name on the scoresheet, his first effort from 25 yards, flying over Jordan Eatham’s goal, his next was closer. Charged down by a brave block after patient Trinity build up play.

Joe Stacey’s corner was rifled home, at the second attempt by Ashley Jackson. His first attempt blocked before striking the second whilst falling away. A quite spectacular strike, the goal giving the Holy Blues a two goal cushion. On the stroke of half time, Hyde had a penalty appeal of their own turned down. Harry Bunn’s effort charged down by skipper Dylan Cogill. Bunn was booked for his protests, as the referee waved away the appeals, much the same as he had earlier in the half.

Half Time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Hyde United 0

Straight after half-time Trinity added a third. The ball eventually finding it’s way to George Hornshaw via Preston and Southwell, the right wingback cutting in and firing left-footed past Eastham to open up a three goal lead. Goalscorer Hornshaw, then cleared off the line, heading away Fielding’s header from Harry Bunn’s right wing corner. Trinity doing well to repel the danger. Another sighter for Preston saw him curl wide of the far post.

Redshaw demonstrated his quality, as he threaded a sublime through ball, through the eye of the needle. Wharton, bravely racing off his line, found himself on the end of a heavy challenge from the Hyde substitute Manesse Mampala. Wharton unable to see out the game, being replaced by back up keeper Josh Render.

Good hold up play from Southwell presented Shanks with the space to drop a ball in over the shoulder of the left sided centre back. Howe bringing the ball down, but unable to get the shot away. From the resultant corner, Ashley Jackson thought he’d added number four, and his second when he drove home from the edge of the box from Stacey’s corner. Only to be deprived by the Assistant’s flag. Controlling the corner, Jackson turned on the edge of area, and drilling home, threw a crowded box, the only reason for the strike being chalked off, that the Assistant had seen an infringing Trinity interfering with play, or. In the line of the visiting keeper.

Gainsborough did add a fourth, only six minutes later. Howe completed his brace, profiting from good play from strike partner Dayle Southwell. Southwell had the beating of his man. But as he closed in on goal, Eastham saved bravely at the feet of the forward. Howe invariably, in the right place at the right time, to gleefully slot home the rebound.

Two red cards were flourished inside three minutes, Trinity first going down to ten, as Connor Shanks kicked out at Callum Spooner, who only a few moments earlier, had gone in hard on Shanks for a yellow himself. The Trinity substitute seemingly seeking retribution as the red mist descended. Shakeel Jones-Griffiths, perhaps the Tigers' most impressive player on the afternoon's showing, similarly lost his head. Fouled by Joe Stacey, the Hyde 8 swiped a leg at Stacey, and quickly followed Connor Shanks down the tunnel for an early bath.

The Trinity faithful were to be treated to another ten minutes, due to the stoppage on the hour mark, though it did provide one further blot on the copy book. Substitute, Manasse Mampala getting one back for the Tigers, turning home in a congested penalty area, to reduce the arrears from Harry Bunn’s freekick.

Going in search of his hat-trick, deep into stoppage time, Howe hit the post, denying him his elusive first hat-trick in Gainsborough colours. A chance individually fashioned late into the game. But as the ball crashed off the base of the post, no one was there to further enhance the Gainsborough advantage.

Five goals, two red cards, a debutant goalkeeper. Five home wins on the spin and morale at the Kal Group Stadium at an all-time high. With three games to play: Away to Matlock on Tuesday and Bradford (Park Avenue) Saturday, before ending the season at home to the Champions, a week on Saturday. Russ Wilcox will be insisting the Holy Blues finish the season on a high, and there's no reason why this group can't!

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity: Dylan Wharton (Josh Render 62) George Hornshaw, Ashley Jackson, Bailey Conway, Hamish Douglas, Dylan Cogill, Joe Stacey, Bobby Johnson (Jack Moore-Billam 81), Dayle Southwell, Declan Howe, Fraser Preston (Connor Shanks 74). Subs not used: Nathaniel Wallace, Kyle Simpson.

Hyde United: Jordan Eastham, Sam Fielding (Lewis Alessandra 59), Joe Bunney, Callum Spooner, Joel Amado, Will Squires, Harry Bunn, Shakeel Jones-Griffiths, Florian Yonsian (Ayo Quadri 72), Jack Redshaw, Matthew Fearnley (Manasse Mampala 46). Subs not used: Sonny Whittingham, Antoine Makoli.

Referee: William Cavanagh
Assistants: Lee Kendrick and David Sutton
Attendance: 605

Match Report written by Rob Hughes (@AATM_Media)
Photos by Yetunde Adegoke