A smart Russell drive was palmed over by Andrew for a corner. A Ben Hughes ball saw a poor back pass that almost got Wilson in. However despite a fumble from the keeper Wilson's first touch was poor. A Gordon throw was headed into the path of Byrne but his first-time half volley went straight down the 'keepers throat. A cross from Hannah seemed to have beaten everyone until Russell raced in at the back peg to rifle in a daisy-cutter that Ward deflected for a corner.

A moment of divine intervention for Trinity a minute before half-time. A Gordon throw to Russell saw the two exchange before the latter chipped a peach down the line for Hannah to cross superbly. It was pure pinball or rather keystone kops in need of a fox in the box. A Ben Hughes air shot ran through to Austin who was denied by a very brave block from Ward, before the pantomime continued missing an overhead clearance. Clarke picked the ball up and fed Austin who delivered a deep cross to Byrne at the far post. His header struck the outstretched arms of former blue- Adam Smith and Halleluiah the penalty was given. Hannah sent a crisp drive inside the left post beyond the reach of Andrew to send the travelling hoarded into a half time frenzy.

With the taste of the half-time Gingerbread burgers still on the lips and on the way to the hips, Ben Hughes made it two. From the centre Gordon peeled a 40 yard peach of a crossfield ball onto the head of Wilson. His nod down saw Hannah thread through the eye of a needle, the mesmerised defence stauesqe, for Ben Hughes to cheekily chip the keeper from six-yards. It was high fives and flying fries amongst the visiting fans, reaching for the skies.

Byrnes free-kick was touched on by Wilson only for Smith to deflect it onto the post and out for a corner. Grouse had only the 'keeper to beat and time but headed wide. Tweed was fortunate that Mr Richardson missed both a shirt tug and a push in the back with Hannah clean through, thanks to a thirty yard ball from Byrne. Ditto Ward who had caught the legs of Wilson who had turned on a sixpence.

Grantham then had a purple patch but Green made two fine saves as the back four completed its fourth shut out on the trot and its' seventh in ten games. Even though Trinity may have fallen out of the play-offs on goal difference thanks to Buxton's 6-0 win, another shut-out and, a 1-0 home win next week could do it, given Buxton will not find Warrington so hospitable. South Shields backed by 800 fans and seemingly leaving no room at any local inns, are the foes, hot on the heels of a 3-2 Scarborough win.

Teams & Schemes

Gainsborough Trinity:Green, Austin, Gordon, Russell, Evans, Stainfield (C), Byrne, Clarke, Hannah, Wilson, B Hughes. Bench activity: Worsfold (67 for Wilson) L Hughes (87 on for Hannah) Simmons (78 on for B Hughes), Davie, Evans.

Grantham Town: Andrew, Smith, Bartle, Edobar, Ward (C), Tweed, Dawson, McGovern, Jackson, Francis, Grouse. Bench: Brooks, Hogg, Payne, Adebayo-Smith, Briers.

Grantham Town 0 Gainsborough Trinity 2 (HT 1-0)
Scorers: Hannah 44 (Pen) B Hughes 46
Attendance: 422
Ref: Mr Richardson
Assistants: Mr Grey & Mr Booth

Report written by Neil Gentleman-Hobbs