Trinity's first attack almost yielded an early breakthrough. Green kicked long Wilson used his strength, but, despite the 'keeper and defender failing to clear his cheeky chip went over the bar. It was end to end, Allison wriggled free but his drive was easily claimed by Green. On 12 minutes Austin's throw was headed on by the imperious Wilson to Worsfold. Bewitching three defenders he laid the ball across goal into the path of Hannah who side footed home from 6 yards only to be called offside.

A Gordon throw found Worsfold but his cross is inches from the head of Wilson. On 38 minutes a less than poetic challenge by Wordsworth sent Worsfold crashing to the ground in the box. Despite a shrill whistle that almost peeled the pea, the referee elected to book the prone predator when a penalty looked odds on given the forward only had to pull the trigger. On 40 minutes a monumental header from Stainfield saw him return the keepers punt back into the box and Wordsworth was not so fortunate this time. The number four was rightly adjudged to have felled Wilson in the box, as he bore down on goal. Worsfold sent the keeper the wrong way as the ball rolled inside his right-hand post.

Trinity should have been two up at the interval. Austin's chip was sublimely back heeled by Worsfold into the path of Clarke. He took a touch before pirouetting to take two defenders out of the game and test the 'keeper. Byrne on the follow up, quickly fired goalwards. Taylor got a glove to it and, with the ball spinning goalwards Hannah thumped home just to make sure. Alas he was punished by the off-side flag.

The blues started the second half well with Byrne and Worsfold exchanging on the flank. The midfield maestro found Wilson who stormed into the box to force a save from Taylor at the expense of a corner. At the other end Symmington curled a 25-yard outswinger just past the far post. Another accurate Green punt picks out Wilson who headed on to Worsfold. His touch finds Hannah but his shot is blocked. Hannah dinks the rebound into the box, Wilson heads home but again the offside flag is raised.

Moments later in the 66th minute Allison was sent off after leaving Russell in a heap. Both went for a firm but fair 50/50 so the Workington lad should feel hard done by for a straight red. Another combination between Worsfold and Hannah saw the player-manager cut inside and hit a bullet that took a deflection but somehow the keeper turned it over the bar. From the 67th minute corner Byrne curls to the near post and Wilson wrong-foots everyone with a golden glancing header to double the lead.

A superb 25 yard curling wind assisted free-kick from Symmington then saw Green change direction to save and hold at full stretch. This young keeper, now with three clean sheets gives a better guarantee than incontinence pads. A final three man move saw Ben Hughes free Russell who sent a pinpoint slide rule pass into the path of Worsfold who fired just the wrong side of the post. On a difficult surface Trinity played the conditions well and deserved a couple more goals despite the bravery and endeavour of a hardworking Workington side who were fighting for their NPL livelihood. Alas, this result all but relegates them thanks to goal difference.

Teams & Schemes

Workington:Aaran Taylor, Dave Symington, Gari Rowntree (C), Dan Wordsworth, Matty Douglas, Brad Carroll, Scott Allison, Jordan Holt, Jason Walker, Dan Carmichael, Conor Tinnion. Subs: Niall Cowperthwaite, Garry Thompson, Sam Joel, Kieran Maguire, Cameron Harker.

Gainsborough Trinity (4-4-2): Joe Green, Neil Austin, Ben Gordan, Simon Russell, Joe Maguire, Nathan Stainfield, Alex Byrne, Shane Clarke (C), Ashley Worsfold, Ross Hannah, Anthony Wilson (replaced by Liam Hughes 80). Subs: Harry Middleton, Liam Hughes on for Wilson (80), Ben Hughes on for Byrne (75), Alex Simmons on for Hannah (86), Ioan Evans.

Workington 0 Gainsborough Trinity 2 (H/T 0-1)
Worsfold (40) Wilson (67)
Att 373 (approx 35 Holy Blues)

Report written by Neil Gentleman-Hobbs