Russ Wilcox made a solitary change to the side beaten by FC United seven days ago. The combative midfielder Jack Moore-Billam selected ahead of Fraser Preston, the conditions under foot playing a big part in Wilcox's thinking. And he wasn't to be disappointed, as Moore-Billam put in a tireless shift in the middle of the park, as the Holy Blues scrapped their way to a vital three points.

As both teams looked to size their opponents up, it wasn't until midway through the first half that either side really looked to trouble the score line. Dayle Southwell created an opening for himself as he recieved an Ash Jackson throw to feet. Spinning in towards the box - Southwell looked to curl goalwards from the lefthand apex of the box - ultimately comfortable for the host's debutant 'keeper, Tom Donaghy.

At the other end, Colls saw an effort from twenty yards flash past Wharton's right hand post. Atherton’s tricky number eleven, Enock Lusiama keeping his effort down, but just unable to find the target. Five minutes before the break, Southwell saw his close range effort cannon back off the post and into the grateful hands of Donaghy, who smothered.

Wharton was called into action next, the half drawing to a close, Trinity were indebted to the brilliance of the towering 'keeper. Jordan Scanlon danced in from the Colls right & pulled the trigger, firing back across Wharton. He got down smartly with a strong left hand. Making the ball stick - and ensuring Wilcox's men would go in at the break on level terms.

Half Time: Atherton Collieries 0 Gainsborough Trinity 0

Down the slope in the second half, the visitors started the half brightly & led inside five minutes. Midfield enforcer, Bailey Conway didn't want to let the Colls out of their half easily and as it turned out - his lofted ball forward - found the hardworking Declan Howe. He was first to the ball, only to be clattered as he poked the ball past the hesitant goalkeeper. Referee Mr Moss had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

And Howe was in no doubt that he would take the spot kick. Donaghy redeemed himself, as he blocked Howe's penalty kick - but Trinity's leading marksman reacted first to slot the ball home & in doing so, brought to an end a six game run without a goal. Just the tonic for the travelling Trinity faithful.

Mo Ali caught the Trinity defensive line a little square as his ball through the middle fell kindly for Lewis Mansell, but Wharton was able to save bravely at the forward's feet as Ash Jackson and Gainsborough's number one converged on the big number nine.

Leaning back, Mansell failed to convert at the back post, before Trinity had to navigate four additional minutes of stoppage time including a last throw of the dice as Fleetwood loanee Donaghy found himself in the Trinity box for a late free-kick and corner. Cogill & Douglas standing firm to see things through - securing a welcome three points!

Only a second winning double of the campaign (to add to the 4-1 & 1-0 wins over Guiseley) but opportunities for Russ Wilcox's men to add a few more in the final couple of weeks, as a rather compact mid-table sees seven points separate Trinity in 17th and Whitby Town in 11th... there are sure to be many more twists and turns left to come, so be sure to join us on our next adventure. Blueee Armyyyyy!

The Teams

Atherton Collieries: Tom Donaghy, Luke Partington, Lewis Thompson, Dylan Moonan, Mo Ali, Dylan Thompson, Ben Rydell, Sidi Fofana, Lewis Mansell, Jordan Scanlon, Knock Lusiama. Subs not used: Teddy Mfuni and Jack Buckley.

Gainsborough Trinity: Dylan Wharton, George Hornshaw (Nat Wallace) Ashley Jackson, Bailey Conway, Hamish Douglas, Dylan Cogill, Lewis Butroid, Danny Devine, Dayle Southwell, Declan Howe, Jack Moore-Billam. Subs not used: Fraser Preston, Kyle Simpson, Tavonga Kulyea and Joel Holvey

Gainsborough Goal: Declan Howe (51)
Attendance: 231