Boss, Russ Wilcox kept faith with the same side that served him so well in terrible conditions against Atherton Collieries. Bobby Johnson was back in the sixteen, but had to bide his time from the bench. New signing, Stacey from Alfreton, also had to start on the bench that also saw Kylr Simpson and Nat Wallace named amongst the substitutes. Chances were at a premium in the opening quarter of the game, with Danny Devine growing into the game in the centre of the park. And twice Dylan Wharton had to be watchful, once to claim a high hanging centre, before dominating his area as he decisively punched clear.

Gainsborough were forced into a change midway through the first half, as Dayle Southwell was replaced by Fraser Preston as a precautionary move. And Preston was soon involved. Timing a clever run in behind, to get on the end of Cogill's lofted ball forward - some sumptious control on the ball and clever release - saw him find Lewis Butroid on the overlap, with the left-footer cutting the ball back into a dangerous area, Jack Lewis was helpless as he stuck out a leg, spinning the ball past the stricken Kieran Preston. And Trinity had the advantage.

Four minutes after taking the lead, the Holy Blues could have had a second when Butroid was denied by Preston in the Basford goal. As the Gainsborough lad was freed down the left by a delightful ball, dropped over the shoulder of the full back, Butroid raced through one on one, only to be brilliantly denied by the visiting shot-stopper.

It wasn't until first half stoppage time that Trinity really threatened again. Fraser Preston this time wafting an effort towards his namesake. The Basford goalkeeper not really troubled on this occasion. And Gainsborough having to settle for the one goal advantage at the break.

Half Time: Gainsborough Trinity 1 Basford United 0

The goal had given Trinity impetus, but they still had to weather a strong start to the second half from the Basford. The Ambers' applying the pressure, which the backline stood up strongly to. Hamish Douglas and captain Cogill again standing firm against the visitors' advances. Ablely flanked by George Hornshaw on the right (making his 100th appearance for the Blues) and Ashley Jackson, down the left.

On the hour mark, Bobby Johnson returned to action, replacing Jack Moore-Billam. Trinity stepping it up a level as Johnson quickly got on the ball higher up the park. Following Johnson's introduction, the Blues started to create. Showing more purpose. A Bobby Johnson flick on found Declan Howe, who shot straight at Preston. Hornshaw then split the visitor's defence, with Johnson accelerating down the right before showing good vision to pick out Howe with the cutback. Howe's effort blocked by Frizzelle.

A good spell of pressure was beginning to ramp up as crosses were swung in from the right and left, before Butroid went on a mesmerising run down the left hand side, twisting and turning, inside and out tying Mason Frizzelle up in knots before the centre back eventually fell to the ground, appearing to handle the ball, the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. And Howe who had been busy, buzzing about, had his tenth of the season. Converting calmly from the spot to double the Gainsborough advantage.

Shortly after winning the penalty, Butroid left the field to a good reception, as Wilcox introduced Joe Stacey for his debut (on loan from Alfreton). And Trinity had a third, almost instantly. Again the substitutes were involved. Johnson weighted a beautiful ball into the box. Howe shielded the ball well and debutant Joe Stacey arrived from the left to bundle home Gainsborough’s third under immense pressure from the retreating Basford man. The composure to take a touch and get away the finish when falling to the ground - a great way to introduce himself to the Trinity faithful!

Again, Basford rallied - but they weren't to find a way past the inspired Dylan Wnarton. The 'keeper did brilliantly. This time to deny Tyler Dacres from point blank range. Less than six yards out, Wharton flung up a strong hand - and in so doing, preserving his - and Gsinsboroughs cleansheet, the second on the bounce, and fourth in six!

Attention now turns to Tuesday night, as the Holy Blues make the short trip to Derbyshire, when Matlock Town are our hosts in the Pitching In Northern Premier League (7.45pm). Can the Holy Blues make it three wins on the bounce?

The Teams

Gainsborough Trinity: Dylan Wharton, George Hornshaw, Ashley Jackson, Bailey Conway, Hamish Douglas, Dylan Cogill, Lewis Butroid (Joe Stacey 78) Danny Devine, Dayle Southwell (Fraser Preston 23) Declan Howe, Jack Moore-Billam (Bobby Johnson 61). Subs not used: Nathaniel Wallace and Kyle Simpson.

Basford United: Kieran Preston, Harvey Ridgley (Tyler Dacres 43) Joshua Barnes, Jack Lewis (Nathan Tyson 68) Mason Frizzelle, Kieran Fenton, Jack Thomas, Matt Thornhill (Toby Ritzema 82) Remaye Campbell, Prince Mancinelli, Revernelle James. Subs not used: Micha Tomlin and Desmond Saane.

Referee: Ashley Royston
Attendance: 543

Report by Rob Hughes (@AATM_Media)
Photos by Phoebe Duckworth