A trio of changes were made by boss Russ Wilcox, who was deprived of the services of ‘keeper Dylan Wharton and striker Dayle Southwell. Goalkeeper David Robson coming in to make his second debut for the club, almost five years after his first! Fraser Preston was selected up top, as Bobby Johnson replaced Jack Moore-Billam in the engine room, Johnson having impressed in his cameo appearance last time out, following his return from suspension.

The returning Roberts was called into action early. Forced to race from his area to clear the danger, he appeared to be caught by Dan Cockerline, the bustling target man for Rylands. But Roberts quickly shook off any ill-effects, to provide a solid backbone for Trinity to build from. When a ball in from the Rylands left was flicked on at the near post by Mo Touray, evading everyone in grey and green, and landing at the feet of Florain Yonsian, in space, with time to pick his spot, he and his team mates had head in hands, as the Hull City youngster made a tremendous save, helping the ball behind for a corner.

Dec Howe grabbed his first, as he opened the scoring inside ten minutes to see Trinity on their way. A smart early finish catching Luke Pilling unaware. Using the shield of the defender, his early finish, dragged back between the defenders’ legs, giving Pilling no chance, and Gainsborough the advantage! Quickly, one nearly became two as Pilling and Javid Swaby-Neavin were almost red-faced when the right back overhit a back-pass that fell a yard wide of the upright. Trinity did well to clear a corner, turning defence to attacking good, after pressure from Bailey Conway. He forced the error, that so nearly doubled Trinity’s advantage!

David Roberts was again called into action, diverting Yonsian effort wide after some impressive Warrington pressure. Trinity were being forced to dig deep and defend in numbers, but they weren’t content to just sit in and soak up pressure, looking to hit their hosts going forward. Pilling was forced into a good save as Howe looked to add to his tally, twisting in the box and firing on target.

As half time approached, both sides picked up a couple of cautions, one of which would have a particular bearing on later proceedings. The booking of Pedro, that would be the first of two yellows, flourished in his direction.

Half Time: Warrington Rylands 0 Gainsborough Trinity 1

Rylands came out with renewed purpose at the start of the second half, but an unfortunate injury to midfield schemer Danny Devine saw play halted for a good ten minutes or so as he received treatment from physio Jonathan Whitehorne. No sooner had play restarted, Djavan Pedro lashed a free-kick into the wall. Johnson, for Trinity, the solid brick in the wall that blocked the goalbound effort. Sending the effort spiralling behind for a corner. As a result, the Blues’ ball player had to leave the field of play having received attention from the Warrington bench. Temporarily down to ten men, Rylands grabbed the equaliser, Mo Touray glancing home Dean Furman’s corner that was helped on by Touray at the near post.

After getting back on terms, Djavan Pedro picked up his second yellow and an early bath. That coincided with Gainsborough regrouping. Trinity regained the lead when Howe and Dylan Cogill combined. The skipper ramming home from close range to restore the advantage. Fraser Preston’s dangerous freekick gave Pilling all sorts of problems as he seemingly dived beyond the ball before parrying back into the centre of his goal, where the top scorer and goal scoring captain were ready to pounce.

Rylands continued to try and play the right way, but Russ Wilcox’s men were relentless. Chasing, hassling and harrying. Causing plenty of problems of their own, before super sub, Joe Stacey grabbed his second goal in as many games from the bench. George Hornshaw raided down the right and cut back for Stacey who took a touch and smashed past Pilling for three. Howe added the fourth nine minutes into stoppage time. A controlled finish past Pilling from Lewis Butroid’s ball, the icing on the cake for the Holy Blues. Brining up number twelve of the season (fourteen really, if you count his double against Marske) for Trinity’s hotshot-number-ten!

Attention now turns to Whitby Town. And an unusual double header, for us at least. Next Saturday, we welcome the Seasiders to the Kal Group Stadium. Before the reverse fixture, at the Towbar Express Stadium, takes place the following Saturday (9th March). Whitby however, play four games in that period, their games in hand hopefully being caught up, with three home games in ten days, cumulating in our trip to the East coast.

The Teams

Warrington Rylands: Luke Pilling, Javid Swaby-Neavin (Mark Duffy 78), Liam Brockbank, Clive Smith, James Neild (Ethan Young 82), Dean Furman, Florian Yonsian, Ben Hough, Dan Cockerline, Mo Touray (Joe Adams 79), Djavan Pedro. Subs not used: Toby Hurst and James Baillie.

Gainsborough Trinity: David Robson, George Hornshaw, Ashley Jackson, Bailey Conway, Hamish Douglas, Dylan Cogill, Lewis Butroid (Kyle Simpson 90+9), Danny Devine (Jack Moore-Billam 57), Fraser Preston (Joe Stacey 81), Declan Howe, Bobby Johnson. Subs not used: Nathaniel Wallace and Joel Holvey.

Gainsborough goals: Declan Howe (8) (90+8), Dylan Cogill (74) and Joe Stacey (83)
Rylands goal: Mo Touray (58)
Referee Mr Hitchell
Attendance: 379

Report by Rob Hughes (@AATM_Media)
Photo credit coming soon