Trinity began the match the sharpest of the two sides, with Bacon looking lively from the offset following his return from his loan spell at Mickleover FC. Any Trinity momentum was quickly halted however, as the hosts took the lead after four minutes. The Turbines’ number 11 was able to meet a cross, from Dion Sembie Ferris, at the back post and fire home from close range to give his side an early lead.

Trinity then continued to look bright in the early stages of the match, however the Turbines were able to double their lead ten minutes later through defender Paul Malone. Given time and space, Malone was able to turn in the box and beat Tom Jackson, low to the ‘keepers left. Curtis Woodhouse’s side then managed to pull a goal back before halftime through captain, Simon Ainge. His third goal in as many games was driven low into the corner and presented the Turbines’ keeper with very little chance. Half-time, Peterborough Sports 2, Gainsborough Trinity 1.

The Holy Blues managed to pull back level early in the second half through AJ Greaves’ first goal of the season. His strike on the 54th minute appeared to come out of nowhere as he raced away down the right, latching on to Keaton Ward’s clever ball flashed the ball into the goalkeeper’s left hand corner and into the net.

However, the Holy Blues’ hard-work to pull back level was quickly undone when Sano Sani’s strike beat Tom Jackson two minutes after their equaliser. Trinity failed to clear the ball and presented the Turbines with an opportunity to regain the lead which they capitalised on. The home side then regained their two goal cushion following a quickly taken throw-in, in the 66th minute. The ball was deflected off of the head of the Trinity debutant, Matt Baker, the ball looping over the head of the stranded Jackson, into the Trinity net.

Having fallen two behind, Woodhouse turned to his bench and blooded the young trio, handing a quarter of an hour to Hutchinson, who ran himself into the ground during his short cameo, giving the opposition little let up, while Karkach and Ronis both got ten minutes and will be better for their experience with the first team. Full time, Peterborough Sports 4, Gainsborough Trinity 2.

The Teams

Peterborough Sports: Lewis Moat, Dan Jarvis, Johnny Herd, Paul Malone, Brad McGowan, Dan Lawlor, Dion Sembie Ferris, Lewis Hilliard (Matty Miles 70), Mark Jones (Josh McCammon 73), Abduramane Sano Sani, Joshua Moreman (Pierre Omombe Epoyo 87). Subs not used: Jordan Nicholson and Lewis Elsom.

Gainsborough Trinity: Tom Jackson, Matt Dixon (Taylor Karkach 80), Ryan Campbell, Matt Baker, James Willamson, Alex Wiles, AJ Greaves, Keaton Ward (Scott Hutchinson 68) , Simon Ainge, Declan Bacon, Luke Lofts (Brad Ronis 80). Sub not used: James Leverton.

Next Match

Trinity’s attention now returns to league action as they prepare for the visit of South Shields. Tuesday’s clash will likely be the last time Trinity appear in competitive action until at least December following the governments’ announcement on Saturday evening that outlined a one-month lockdown, to be enforced from Thursday. The Mariners will make the trip from Tyne and Wear on the back of consecutive 1-0 victories in the league and the Buildbase FA Trophy. They come into the fixture, in eighth place in the Pitching In Northern Premier League with the Holy Blues sitting just below in ninth.