Trinity came into the fixture following their 2-2 draw away at Whitby United on Saturday, whilst the Whites entered the game having lost 3-0 at home in their previous outing against Cleethorpes Town. The sides last met in a pre-season friendly at the Northolme back in July, a game which saw the teams play out a 1-1 draw. It did not take long for Gainsborough to assert their dominance and open the scoring. In the fourth minute Lincoln City loanee Jordan Adebayo-Smith made his way down the right and broke into the box, firing into the bottom left corner. Just nine minutes later, Gainsborough nearly doubled their lead. A flick on from a goal-kick sent Ross Hannah on his way to goal, but poor finishing kept the score at 1-0 after weak finishing from a decent one-on-one opportunity.

Lincoln United had to wait until the 21st minute before they had their first attempt of the game. However Millard’s volley flew well over as he took it on from just outside the area. The match then settled down as Lincoln United battled their way back into the match. Neither side created any clear-cut chances but both managed to carve themselves a number of crossing opportunities, however nothing amounted to anything threatening.

Then, right on the stroke of half time, the visitors found their equaliser. Some clever work from Pissi down the right wing opened up a crossing opportunity, which was dispatched with a neat header by Elliot Wilson. His effort looped into the top corner at the far post to level the game. Half-time: Gainsborough Trinity 1 Lincoln United 1.

The first big chance of the second half fell to Adebayo-Smith once again. A perfectly weighted ball over the top of the defence from Simon Russell was controlled brilliantly by the young striker, but his finish was tame and straight at the Whites’ keeper. Neither side then managed to create a foothold in the game, and there seemed to be no real flow to the proceedings.

A succession of corners for both sides was the closest either team came to taking the lead, until Adebayo-Smith threatened once again in the 72nd minute. A rapid counter-attack from the Holy Blues saw Green set Adebayo-Smith away down the left. After a neat one-two with captain Russell, the Lincoln loanee found his curling effort from the edge of the area cannon back into play off the crossbar. Neither side then managed to create anything substantial, and the referee blew his whistle to send the game to penalties.

With Lincoln United taking first, all three of their efforts were scored by Turnbull, West and Smith. Trinity, however, failed to convert any of their spot-kicks as misses from Hannah, Russell and Adebayo-Smith saw them drop out of the Integro Cup at the second round stage. Gainsborough now move onto league action as they take on Witton Albion at the Martin & Co Arena in the BetVictor Northern Premier League on Saturday, 3pm kick off. The Holy Blues are unbeaten in their previous 5 league matches and currently sit 20th in the league.

Attendance: 147

Match report by Kieran Curtis